Tuesday 15 March 2016

Living with Chronic Headache


I have had migraines for most of my life; the first attack I remember occurred when I was 10 years old. I was sitting in an examination hall I had my final paper of social studies for class 6th. I was attempting my paper when I suddenly felt severe pain over my left eye. An intense light appeared to my left. Everything started vanishing. The brightness was turning into blindness an emptiness in my field of vision. I was unable to see anything on my left. There were only shadows no clear images. I was terrified at what was happening, I put my head down on my desk and closed my eyes this made me feel a bit better but then I heard the voice of invigilator who was saying that only 1 hour is left. I opened my eyes tried my best to complete my paper but all my efforts went in vain. After closing my eyes for 15 more minutes I felt better and then I completed my paper. That was the most painful moments of my life. Then I came home and I told my mother about everything that happened to me then she took me to the doctor and migraine was diagnosed.


After a month I got migraine attack again. I woke up early in the morning when a bright light of energy savor hit my eyes and resulted in migraine attack. My migraine occur when I wake up 99% of the time. I know that my migraines are triggered by too much sleep, not enough sleep or stress. Extreme emotions seems to trigger my migraine. Over the years I have learned not to get too overly emotional either way. It has helped me to control my migraine attacks.

Migraines have been a monster for me all my life. It has affected my childhood, my education and my personal life. I currently take medicine for migraine. They do help in getting rid of an attack. But there doesn’t seem any pill that will remove the migraines permanently. The most important thing I have done to deal with migraines emotionally is to accept that I have them and will for the rest of my life.

People complain about the pain but they do not discuss how they are living with problems that migraines had created in their everyday life. They do not discuss that how messed up their life is because of migraine. Some potential triggers for a migraine are:

Allergies
Stress
Smoking
Alcohol
Bright lights
Loud noise
Strong smells
Skipping meals
Dehydration
Irregular sleep
Poor posture
Low blood sugar
Hormonal fluctuations

There are several ways in which one can control migraine attack: by not taking too much stress by remaining calm in life. The person with migraine should sleep early and get up early in the morning because too much and not enough sleep both lead towards migraine attack. By having a proper healthy diet one can fight with migraine. There are several pills that help in getting rid of migraine attack such as aspirin, ibuprofen these medicines will give temporary relief from pain. If someone is dealing with throbbing and severe headache then he should take rest in the dark quiet room, or one can take a little amount of caffeine do get rid of the pain. By using Apple Cider Vinegar with honey also helps in pain reduction one can also use ginger tea twice a day to get rid of pain. One of the simplest treatment for migraine is eating a lot of apples. Apple helps in relieving pain.

So people who are suffering with this monster should not lose hope be positive in life. Pain will always be there and that’s probably not going to change so live a happy life. Choose good life over pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment